The Yard Manager oversees the yard’s daily business activity regarding scrap collection, purchasing, processing and shipping as well as equipment requirements and maintenance. They will manage all supervisors and union employee activities, sometimes over multiple shifts while adhering to and promoting all safety standards which requires strong leadership. They will oversee customer access and activities on the yard. They will manage the yard’s inventory on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis. The incumbent is also responsible to effectively to meet required productivity and profitability levels utilizing their knowledge of ferrous and non-ferrous metals, the classification and sorting of metals, inventory management as well as customer relations.
Representative Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage Yard Supervisors including:
- Truck Scale, Receiving/Scale, Sorting Area / Scale , Stainless Steel and Hi-Temp (LA Yard only), Baler, Shipping
- Ensure that safety is the top priority.
- Holds weekly/daily supervisor meeting to inform of them of weekly production needs and safety topics.
- Responsible for leadership of union personnel.
- Responsible for all vacation scheduling (Supervisors / Union Employees), PPE and safety.
- Establishes production schedules and adjusts work as needed to support sale commitments and customer service.
- Responsible for Inventory Management.
- Maintains control over removal of nonconforming material.
- Quality Management; maintains product quality through best business practices and Insures that material being shipped is a quality package.
- Weigh, grade and pay as defined by A&A.
- Follows the set processes and procedures to ensure conformance to the company’s integrated management system standard RIOS (Recycling Industry Operating Standard) and optimal performance of Alpert & Alpert goals and objectives as applicable.
- Provide the utmost quality service to customers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Broad knowledge of metals
- Understanding of the company’s IT-System RECY (scale system, settlements and inventory)
- Knowledge of Union Contract Management
- Recognition of hazardous material and its proper removal
- Customer Service orientated
- Understanding of house rules and labor agreement
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time and be able to move about in an outside and warehouse environment.
- Operate computer, machinery, tools, vehicles and industrial equipment and must have the ability to use hands to move, set up, adjust, assemble, control, test, operate, or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- Constantly communicates and exchange information with team members and must be able to effectively communicate correct information with vendors.
- Read/comprehend, write, communicate orally, reasoning and analytical abilities, and mental flexibility.
- The employee will constantly climb, bend, squat, kneel, crouch, and reach above shoulder when working with equipment, and other related tasks.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus to compare and distinguish material grades and administrative data.
- Hearing ability to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking level with or without correction.
- Continuously walking the yard to provide leadership as needed.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job Alpert & Alpert Iron & Metal, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, marital status, disability, or veteran status.