The role is responsible for the development, enhancement, implementation and the continuous improvement of all Environmental, Health and Safety programs, policies, and processes for Alpert & Alpert Iron & Metal, Inc. to achieve world class safety performance.
Promotes the value of safety for all employees, contractors, and visitors.
Representative Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for reporting to management on the performance of the QEH&S management system.
- Develop, schedule, and/or conduct EH&S-related training including New Employee Orientation, Fork Lift Operation, Hazardous Waste/ Hazardous Material Management, D.O.T. Hazardous Materials/Shipping, Hazard Communication, Emergency Response Team, Safety Committee, Safe work habits/workplace as directed by the VP of Operations.
- Develops and implements programs that align with the company safety objectives.
- Be an active participant and assist the Yard Managers with leading the efforts of the Central Safety Committee.
- Responsible for EH&S Compliance issues: Hazardous Waste, Hazardous Material, Storm Water Safety, Records Documentation, etc.
- Hazardous waste compliance: Daily hazardous waste tank inspections, Weekly hazardous accumulation inspections, Complete and review manifests, land disposal restrictions, labels, shipping papers, truck marking against environmental standards, Coordination of waste analysis sampling annually.
- Hazardous Material Compliance: Maintain MSDSs; Keep chemical inventory up to date; Make basic changes/updates to written plans and procedures.
- Storm water compliance: Daily housekeeping inspections, beginning of day and ending; Monthly inspections of clarifiers/separators; Quarterly inspections; Annual inspections, Oversee sampling and evaluate effectiveness of BMPs.
- Safety compliance: Validate completion of daily forklift inspections; Job Safety analysis; Monthly site safety equipment inspection; Implement a contractor safety program for contractors working at facilities; Assist with workers compensation; document accident investigation reports; Oversee and Chair the Safety Committee.
- Investigation of accidents, incidents, and injuries. Assist in determining root cause, appropriate corrective action, and follow up to ensure implementation of corrective action.
- Conduct EH&S related inspections, audits, and checklists and any training specified under RIOS related requirements. Inspections may include but are not limited to weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly plant inspections to include fire extinguishers, emergency/exit Lights, emergency eyewash stations, spill kits, waste labeling and first aid kits. Report all findings in a timely manner to appropriate management and ensure follow up on inspection findings.
- Records compliance issues: Maintains all records of inspections, records collected during completion of job tasks, corporate compliance calendar, site maps.
- Prepare the monthly environmental/safety score card for each facility. Refine and update as needed.
- Coordinate inspections with regulatory agencies.
- Act as a liaison between consultants, legal counsel, and executives/plant management.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date database of Standard Operations Procedures (SOPs) Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) and assist with obtaining approval for new MSDSs.
- Assist yard employees in all Environmental, Health, and Safety concerns.
- Ensure all waste handling procedures are within regulatory compliance and management policies and procedures.
- Assist in the management of handling, labeling, storage of hazardous and non-hazardous and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Communicate/Document EH&S requirements and monitoring of employees and non-employees. Become a valued resource for Operations in defining and implementing best practices.
- Actively partner with Operations on SOPs, process, chemical usage, handling and storage, waste disposal, etc.
- Follows the set processes and procedures to ensure conformance to RIOS and optimal performance of Alpert & Alpert goals and objectives as applicable.
- Assist in other duties as needed.
Reporting Relationship : This position has one direct report.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Quality or Environmental Engineering/Occupational Health Science or related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading and improving safety performance and regulatory compliance.
- In depth knowledge of OSHA regulations, accident investigation and analysis and workers’ compensation practices.
- Outstanding problem-solving, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Project and change management skills/experience.
- Accomplished computer skills including Microsoft Office applications.
- Highly analytical and detail oriented, strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work in cross-functional teams to deliver concrete projects in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and manage many tasks/projects simultaneously
- Experience working in a union environment.
- Ability to read, write and speak in Spanish and English.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow technical documentation.
- Demonstrated facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated management and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to effectively influence and motivate employees.
- Ability to present complex or difficult messages clearly and persuasively.
- Constantly communicates and exchange information with team members and must be able to effectively communicate correct information between consultants, legal counsel and plant management/executives.
- Experience in performing ISO/RIOS audits a plus
- Project management or project management certification a plus
The overall nature of this position requires consistent light physical exertion with minimal physical effort frequently required. There is constant exposure to environmental noises and hazards, exposures to cold, hot and wet weather. The constant physical demands are walking, talking, hearing and repetitive hand motions. The occasional physical demands are sitting, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, handling, grasping, feeling and eye/hand/foot coordination. The employee may be required to lift up to 40 lbs on an occasional basis. Typical office and yard environment. The noise level is usually moderate to loud.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job Alpert & Alpert Iron & Metal, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, marital status, disability, or veteran status.